Home Hygiene Medication without indication: what are the risks?

Medication without indication: what are the risks?

by admin

Did you know that some human medications that seem harmless to us, such as diclofenac, ibuprofen and paracetamol can be fatal for pets? That’s right. The “self-medication” of pets, carried out by tutors, is practiced frequently and the risks of offering a medicine to the dog and cat without consulting a veterinarian can be much greater than most tutors imagine.

Better understand the following risks.

Importance of avoiding medication on your own

Only the veterinarian can indicate which remedies can be used by the dog or cat, avoiding possible allergies, toxicity and serious complications for the pet. This is because the specialist has the necessary knowledge to assess the animal’s history and indicate the main medications to be used and the correct dose of medications.

Among the common risks is the medicine given to the pet causing intoxication and symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea with or without blood, imbalances, nausea, nystagmus (rapid movement of the eyes in different directions), inability to get up or walk, pain abdominal and, in some cases, cause gastric and intestinal ulcers and even death.

In addition, some pets may have their previous illness aggravated by the incorrect medication offered by the guardian. If the medication the owner wants to use has been prescribed by a veterinarian before, care must be taken as some medications such as antibiotics can lead to bacterial resistance, gastroenteritis and other serious illnesses.

Thus, the risks include the animal’s suffering, worsening of the pre-existing condition, the need for more tests, medications, longer treatment times, hospitalizations, etc.

Medicines banned for dogs and cats

Here is a short list of medicines that should not be offered to pets:

Cats

  • Paracetamol
  • Diclofenac potassium and sodium
  • Acetylsalicylic acid
  • Ibuprofen

Dogs

  • Paracetamol
  • Ibuprofen
  • Diclofenac potassium
  • Sodium diclofenac
  • Majority of anti-inflammatory drugs for human use

What if the pet ingests a human medicine unintentionally?

If, by accident, your pet “eats” a medication, it is very important to take him to the hospital as soon as possible vet closer. There is absolutely nothing the owner can do to ease the picture of an intoxicated animal. Do not try to make him vomit or other techniques such as giving milk, for example.

When you arrive at the hospital, inform the veterinarian what the medication was ingested, how long ago and, if possible, the dose so that the professional can carry out the treatment in the best possible way.

Never medicate your pet without veterinary guidance! Combined?

Check out our content on neutering dogs!

You want to see bizarre things, incredible curiosities about everything, including what you’ve never seen. Visit the ExtraCuriosity blog and have fun. by [author_name]

You may also like

Leave a Comment